Monday, February 24, 2020

Pink. Just Pink.

As I put together my guerrilla campaign to hit the streets in the coming weeks, I moved to printing You're Next as color laser prints at my local copy shop. True, it's not the luscious 22 x 30" (56 x 76 cm)  from a wide-format ink jet printer, or the imposing 24 x 36 (61 x 91 cm) offset 2-color print, but I just don't have the funds to print any other way right now. It's going up as a tabloid-size.

A printer gave me quote for 500 copies of a 2-color print on a light-weight coated stock at 24 x 36 for $ 900. Not a bad price considering the ink coverage; and at 500 prints, the sheetfed is just making ready. The ppu is pretty good considering; I could run a crowd funder to pay for it, and it would include postage and the mailing tube. Promoting it could make it a hit, or an uphill battle.

I'll talk more about the distribution later, for now, the color.

The red from a laser printer would give me a peach-colored triangle when printed; the yellow comes out strongly in the lower opacity (see the top image). So, decreasing it, the pink will be accurate in the tabloid-size print. If I ever get the offset printed, I'd go with a spot color, and the lowered opacity would produce the pink I want. Just gotta be sure that I choose a cooler red.

For the distribution, I'm thinking I'll start in my little town, putting up some at night and see if I get a reaction. I have to reach out to contacts to find the spots with the traffic that would most respond to the image.

That's one of the most interesting things about this project. The climate in this country has turned so acrid and exclusionary. It has been revealing how people respond to the individual images. Each of the works are met by gasps--but the reaction comes only from a specific group, the one targeted by the piece.

My honest hope is that the message and its design resonate so deeply that we collectively do something about the crisis our nation is in. Never did I think that as a population we were harboring so much fear and hatred toward one another. In these times of accessible communication, couldn't we stop seeing one another as groups of "them" vs. "us"? It took someone with these feral emotions to capitalize on these fears in others; sadly, as a nation we've responded badly in not rejecting the rhetoric and ousting this shell of a human being from our highest office. We most certainly face his re-election if we don't unite and act.


No comments :

Post a Comment