Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Press Notes--"She has neither"

I've been thinking on why my entries to this blog are so spotty. Of course, media trends make blogging almost obsolete; records of one's progress are held on IG, as a running to-the-minute image diary, recorded by phone with a caption.

Going forward, I probably will abandon blogging, since my viewers just don't have the time or interest to read the tech notes and progress of this project. They'd prefer to see images and videos. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

However, there have been some twists in the printing. The image in the previous post, She has neither, is set for 3-D polymer plates and printed in Syracuse, NY by Boxcar Press. 

Totally patient individuals, my CSR informed me there were issues on several fronts. I'll post these separately. In one hit, I can picture people's eyes glazing over.

Press size. The press size, obviously, determines the paper, hence the size of the piece. Since I've been prototyping on a digital inkjet printer, the roll widths are 24" (61 cm). I've been putting Arches 88 through the machine, which has a width of 22" (56 cm). We'll talk about Arches later.

Offset sheets are larger, but can only take certain types of paper and have huge make-ready needs. DSH is a boutique piece, and, although funded, a consideration is what to do with all the material that is eventually printed. Another discussion.

Boxcar has an affectionate relationship with their equipment, lovingly displayed on their equipment page:


From the company's website. On its side it says "ZWEI
FARBEN", meaning two colors in German. I've always
worked in Heidelberg shops. They're great machines. 
Here's the info on the press that most likely will be printing my work:
press name: Heidelberg KSBAZ
press nickname: 2C-K
year built: 1973
serial number: KSBAZ345369
largest printable area: 16.5 x 21.375 inches
weight: 7,250 lbs.
why we (Boxcar) love this particular press: Dave C. (the pressman): It treats me right and keeps me out of trouble! We could all use a press like that. It prints like a Cadillac. No problems at all.

No comments :

Post a Comment