Tuesday, June 18, 2019

By any means necessary

Printing By Any Means was not an easy task. The prototypes were a digital breeze. Tried them on coated digital paper and Arches 88. The coverage was nice. Getting it to screen porperly was another story.

I was a silk screening lunatic once, going as far as pulling prints with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth (geez!). Decidedly reformed, the methods have transformed--some shops are water-based, others still print with oil-based inks but cure the prints in a 700-degree (371 C) conveyer kiln. Cleaning screens is no longer with liquid solvents, rather with solvent from an aerosol. Much better.
The blend just was't
working.

There are a number of screen printers scattered throughout Brooklyn and Queens, some in the Bronx. T-shirts are the favorite mode of expression, but the raw edge and large-size capacity make it great for all kinds of communication. The inks lend themselves to various opacities and while some don't like the thickness of the inks layered one on top of the other, that's one of the qualities I like about silkscreen. I never cared for a large edition of prints. I needed many proofs because I pushed the registration with fine lines. I'd only get 10-12 good ones and that's fine by me.

Which is why By Any Means needed to go through a number of file alterations before going to press. The first press requested AI files. I sent those, with PDFs of the two layers of text. I had advised that the X print as a blend, but the shop felt that it wouldn't work over such a large area (the X blends over a 20-inch (51 cm) span.

Yet another shop felt that screening the blend would work, but the dot screen ended up as a moiré and didn't work out.

However, digging a little deeper got me Kayrock Screenprinting's address. At the edge of where Newtown creek pierces Queens and Brooklyn, a huge brick building houses a number of industries, some relating to art making.

Kayrock is decidedly lefty; unafraid to say so on various printed material in the shop. They have handsome work they've printed from other clients; I am amazed at how different artists use the medium. I'll be posting some soon.

Just got this from the master printer at Kayrock Screenprinting in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, life is good.






No comments :

Post a Comment