Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Kickstarter--Yet Again

Without any nail biting and tapping on my experience and that of others, I launched a Kickstarter this evening to fund the printing of the VOTE Postcard I designed. 

I'm printing-on-demand, and my goal is large enough for me to print and mail the first batch and have a little left over to print a 22 x 17-inch letterpress of this image, and small enough to hopefully make goal.  

Allow me to explain: The idea of making a postcard--a mailed item--and using an image inspired by Robert Indiana's piece on a postage stamp--is the concept of the piece. 

I swiped the image to the left from an ETSY vendor who is offering 10 unused stamps for sale on their site. At such close range, it's fun to see the imperfections in the perforated tear; even in its reduced image state, the colors still vibrate after all these years.

Within minutes of launching I had two backers. Very exciting. 

What this has taught me, yet again, is how much text needs to be considered and edited when launching any kind of campaign. 

Parading it by colleagues, there was a bit of confusion about the meaning and purpose of the work;  others were concerned that I was encouraging people to participate in a system that just might lose their vote. I saw it as a way to send out a message relating to voting safely--by mail. 

Hope I make my goal. At $ 5.00--the price of a pledge--at a time, it could be a long road to $ 250.00. Yet another chapter in this journey.

Here's the postcard:



No comments :

Post a Comment