Friday, July 5, 2019

By All Means

Got the prints back last week, I wanted to post but was getting ready for another press run and I was invited to give an artist talk at Ft. Tilden.

When I got to the press in Greenpoint, the office associate patiently opened the meticulously packed edition and I went through them, one by one.

I could see the difficulties; they worked really hard on it. I also requested and got five proofs they had done on other clients' makeready, which I'll look over; the blast of color is a departure. A completely different piece.

Here's some video. I love the sound of the ink burping as it's squeezed from the ketchup bottles; I always found applying ink to a screen immensely satisfying.


How seductive....like spreading colored
peanut butter....
Top: ink application for By Any 
Means. They applied two blacks and two
grey for the X; after a few prints, the screen
needs to be cleaned since the inks run into
one another.
You can also see the master printer working with an automated squeegee. Totally love the art; I'll be pulling the next series myself, though I don't know when.

On the last day of the show at Ft. Tilden, I   brought this and another print I'll write about in another post. The reception was good; there's something very seductive about a silk screen with a blend, or any other print with a blend for that matter.

On his website, Andrew Keir describes the process beautifully, with images of the process across offset, letterpress and silk screen printing. In offset printing it's called split fountain printing, and in the image you can see the pressman applying the two colors to the roller. Here's the link, definitely worth a visit:

http://www.andrewkeir.com/split-fountain-printing/

No comments :

Post a Comment