Monday, April 3, 2017

Slowly I turned...Step by Step....

...Inch by inch...

and this administration is going off

NIAGRA FALLS!

But, luckily, Clarendon is doing fine. I see it everywhere.

Nifty little article about the font used in numbering the yardage on football fields. Of course it's an official standard; I just didn't pay attention to the font until now.

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/7507/nfl-field-markings

The author points out, however, that for the 50th anniversary of the Super Bowl Century was used, not Clarendon but I disagree. What gives it away is that Century's thicks and thins are more streamlined than Clarendon's. The curly flag on the 2 gives it away. Clarendon is also fuller (less condensed) than Century, making it even more playful than the typeface I grew up on in Sally, Dick and Jane.


Found a few new hits on the Internet using this beautiful font, and I came up with a few ideas of my own.

I'm always talking about offset printing, since, it was in a small shop on 101st Avenue and 120th Street in Richmond Hill (Queens!) that I got my first job job. Baby sitting, guitar lessons and paper routes kind of count, but not really. Here I had a boss! A REAL boss!

Anyway, that's where I learned about color separations and 4-color printing. I had been exposed to it, as I wrote earlier, by my dad, who showed me color pictures through a magnifying glass. But here I learned the mechanics of it and loved it.
With this in mind, I set out to design a new entry, E Pluribus Unum.  The type treatment is still in the works, since I'm designing the piece with a variety of capital and lower case letters of different weights; to the right is what's good enough to show so far.

At first I envisioned every piece executed in black ink on paper, but as time goes on, and with the versatility of the face, I'm thinking more and more that I'm going to add color to the entire project; most especially this piece. That's where 4-color printing comes in, as do the evil workings of the much despised Registration Gremlin of the pressroom. I'll report back soon.





No comments :

Post a Comment