Friday, December 2, 2016

Why a type art piece and why now?

Let's face it, this was a painful election. All sixteen months of it.

Starting with the 19--count'em--19--Republicans that had a go at the Seat of Power to Hillary and Bernie duking it out as the DNC sabotaged their way into the hearts of Wikileaks.

You can probably guess who I wanted for prez, but all in all, I was disappointed about the two finalists because they were such old fogies. Both of them. Not at all ageist, I had and still have problems with people running for office when they have an eye on the golf course (no smirks here; and, O plays a lot of golf. I just see golf as the last step before pull-ups and assisted living).

From the Fann Street Foundry Type Specimen Book.
That was one--of many--problems I had with RWR and his minion, 41. I think we need younger candidates; optimistic forward thinkers who are willing to chance and change it all. We need some disruption!

Well, that's what the electorate said; but they voted for the most establishment coot walking the planet. What could be more establishment than a billionaire daddy's boy from Queens?

Back to the type art piece.

I started it before the election. Really. I started it anticipating a hostile congress obstructing the plans and proposals of yet another president for eight years and I questioned why our democracy was being flung from a car window--from the get-go.

DEMOCRACY SPOKEN HERE responds to the voice of people who are marginalized and disenfranchised because of their gender, color or beliefs. It's a series of type treatments of quotes by Americans who were truly on the courageous edge and speak to the struggle of their journey.













No comments :

Post a Comment